Tasting Ukkokkei's Not-So-Secret Tantanmen



Probably the most featured ramen shop in our country, serious food writers have nothing but praises for Ukokkei Ramen Ron. Not that I claim I am a serious food writer, I just want to add my voice to the chorus.

But I am not writing about the ambiance, the service or the staff who shouts "SHAYMASHE!!!" (I think what they're trying to say was "Irashaimasen" or "Welcome" in Japanese.) every time a customer comes in, hell! I couldn't care less about the other ramen served in Ukokkei. This entry is for one ramen and one ramen alone: The Ukokei Tantanmen.

For the benefit of people who don't know, who don't care or just too lazy to google it, Tantanmen is a ramen dish made with preserved vegetable spicy sauce, chili oil, szechuan pepper, sesame, minced pork in broth, noodles and pure awesomeness. It was brought to Japan by traders from Szechuan province of China during the year Kopong-kopong. It's called Dan dan Mien in China but is served like a stir-fried noodles without the broth.

I curse/thank my friend, Jing (of Baby Cakes), for bringing me to Ukokkei and introducing me to the taste of Tantanmen. I've been in a lot of ramen shops and have tasted different kinds of tantamen here in the metro but this is the only dish that made me excited about my future visits to a ramen shop. I sometimes dream about it even.

I admit that it is not cheap. So if you are someone of my financial stature or just being kuripot, save for it. Unfortunately, some pretentious foodies rant that compared to other Japanese restaurants, Ukokkei's Tantanmen is expensive and doesn't have enough toppings. I pity those fools but it's understandable for them to think that way because a lot of them don't even know the difference between a ramen, a mami and a Lucky Me Supreme Bulalo instant noodles. They don't understand the complexity and the effort behind in making a great noodle dish. It's an art form. The broth alone that goes into every ramen bowl served at Ukokkei is prepared 2 days in advance. Black Chicken (Ukokkei is a breed of black chicken hence, the name of the ramen shop) bones are boiled overnight. Herbs and spices are added and continuously boiled till the broth reach ramen nirvana.

Anyway... If you decide to drop by Ukokkei and try their Tantanmen, dinner would be the best time because they only serve it starting at around 6pm till stocks run out. I once went there a little before 8pm, ubos na daw. Also note that Tantanmen is not on the menu, you should ask for it. The serving is good for two but please don't insult the chef by sharing a bowl with a friend. At oo nga pala, Bawal ang take out!


Tantanmen
@ Ukokkei Ramen Ron
G/F Tesoro Bldg. 822 A Arnaiz Ave.
San Lorenzo Village, Makati City


No comments

Powered by Blogger.